I have finally begun to make this wonderful time capsule ready for the water.
I have studied. I have read. I have listened. I have thought about it......time and time again.
I have been over this boat, inside and out.
Where to begin? Well, this is a good as any system.
Under the dash, on the footboard is a hatch that leads to the bow. Crawling into the bow, a mess of wires.
I pulled out the old wiring harness. Not much of a harness. Just a lot of wires comprising a system that got the job done.
This was about 20 hours of work. Well worth it. Seeing the lights on was very satisfying.
|Looking towards the stern. WOW! What a mess. So many wires!!|
|The Bilge. An oily, wiry mess!! Notice the flywheel on the Phantom 125 in background.|
I sent this pictures to Tom Coen. He recalls these lights well, saying "That spot light guided us home on many occasions."
|The spotlight shines again! New light socket and rewire. I utilized sections of the original wiring in visible locations.|
|Wires from the 20's. Can you say hazardous!!!!|
|Here is what I found in the bow, no navigation light fixture and loose wiring.|
|Re-dressed and ready to go.|
|Ready to go. Clean lens and bright 6 volt light.|
|New wires. Rerouted and stapled.|
|Now all of the wires run outside of the hatch opening. Taking a cue from the original system, I used leather straps and nails for staples to secure the wiring in place.|